Friday, October 3, 2014

A New England Narrative.

I'm a Texan.  And for the longest time, I thought I would never leave Texas because there was no place better than Texas.

But we all grow up, our minds embrace new experiences, and I ended up falling in love with every region of the country that my mail was sent.  From Colorado to Virginia, Florida to Connecticut, each stop has been an education, filled with great people, great food, and great fun.

New England has become home, and I love it here.

That was the true joy of being a reporter.  I came across all walks-of-life, getting to tell their stories, albeit in a neatly wrapped two minute broadcast package.  It was a passion of my professional career, and remains that way to this day.

Everyone likes a good story.

So, with the blessing of my boss, I've picked up a camera, and I've decided I'm going to be a storyteller again.  With what free time I can find, I want to go out and find stories about the people and places of New England.  Unlike so many stories I used to cover, these will be about music, history, business, or just life in general.  No murder - no mayhem - just some feature fun.

My first venture is about the dulcimer.  I can't tell you exactly how I learned about this historic Appalachian instrument, but I love its sound.  So one day, I "googled" "Dulcimer New England" and happened upon a group of ladies who call themselves the Connecticut Mountain Dulcimer Gathering.  They agreed to meet with me at the Colchester Library where they hold monthly practices.

So I grabbed my camera, and had the best time.

I can't promise how often I will post, or how often I'll be able to go out and shoot stories (it does take time to shoot, write, and edit you know...), but I'll keep trying.  You'll be able to find them here, or at my company web page at Sullivan & LeShane Public Relations.

With that - I introduce you to "A New England Narrative" Chapter One.  I hope you have as much fun watching it...as I did producing it.  (Even a Texan can realize how great it is to live up here...)








No comments:

Post a Comment