Friday, June 28, 2013

Farewell to "Broadcast News": Hurricanes, Elections, and a Mustard Biscuit

It was sexy.

I’m referring to my first broadcast news story.  It was September of 1997, and I had just moved to Grand Junction, Colorado.  My first assignment out of the gate was about a proposed cross-walk on a busy street.

Oh baby.

It ran two minutes, thirty seconds, and looking back on it, watching it was akin to seeing the paint dry.  (But watching paint dry was far more interesting.)  Since then, I’ve covered rock slides, presidential elections, NASCAR, hurricanes, mass shootings, and a crime of passion that involved a mustard biscuit.  It was an exciting, rewarding, run, but it’s time to move on.

I’m leaving the broadcast business.

I’ve accepted a position with respected public relations firm Sullivan and LeShane in Hartford.  More than anything, I’m looking forward to expanding my skill set, and learning from people who have done this for decades, providing expertise in all things communications. 

I’ve worked with great people, met great people, and frankly, told some great stories.  I’ve always felt privileged to be a story-teller, and I feel I will continue to do that, just in a different capacity. 

My sincerest thanks to my wife, my family, my colleagues, and the thousands of viewers who have been so supportive all these years. 

I still have that cross-walk story somewhere, and perhaps this weekend I’ll see if my VCR works and watch that masterful piece of journalism.  Edward R Murrow would be so proud…he might even call the story “sexy.”

Nah, probably not.

(My last "live" in the field shot.  Please excuse the competition's car in the background!)

1 comment:

  1. Going to miss your reporting, Jamie. You were one of the best and are going to be sorely missed. Good luck in your new adventure and godspeed.

    ReplyDelete