Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Wallet, An Attitude Adjustment, and a "Thank You."


I had a lump in my throat, my stomach turned sour, and my heart was racing.

Where was my wallet?

I was enjoying a visit of the “Harlem Globetrotters” with my five-year-old son at Hartford’s “XL Center” when I realized it was gone.  Credit and health insurance cards, my driver’s license -- were all lost – or stolen.

When I came home, I gave my wife the “woe is me” sob story and she quickly provided insight that changed my attitude completely.

“Remember the news assignment you did yesterday,” she said.  “Your wallet?  Small potatoes.”

Friday, I was in Newtown, Connecticut when I arrived to what was left of the home of Hans Barth.  A fire started in the basement and quickly spread, consuming the modest house and destroying many things inside. 

The painful twist – two of Hans’ kids are survivors of the Sandy Hook massacre.  His seven-year-old son Peter hid in a locked bathroom with his teacher and classmates as gunshots echoed through the halls. 

“Maybe it’s because of the school that we learned a little more of what’s important to us in life, through that experience.  Maybe if it had happened earlier we would have been crying on the floor now, I don’t know,” Barth said, as he was loading donated items into a cargo truck.

I stood there with my mouth agape.  This man’s children are probably dealing with severe psychological trauma.  His house was gone.  Yet the whole time I was speaking with him, he smiled, repeatedly saying how blessed he was, how things really aren’t that bad.

“How can I not smile with all the support that we’ve had from all around.  I mean, what’s supposed to be a disaster has turned into a tremendous gift in a way,” Barth said.

We all have troubles – stress is often something we combat with on a weekly basis.  And thankfully, the majority of us will never have to deal with the drama the Barth family is currently experiencing.  But even small issues in our own little corner of the world can create personal turmoil.

With that said, what my wife reminded me of was to take a step back and look at the big picture.  My children were laughing and playing in the next room, there was a roof over my head, and aside from my pocket feeling a bit lighter, I felt great. 

Thank you Mr. Barth.  May I remember your story – and your attitude – the next time a mammoth problem…is really no problem at all.

(Note:  If you are interested in helping the Barth family, you can contact Christine Wilford at thewilfordfamily@gmail.com or go to the Barth Family Fund at www.gofundme.com/2fns60)


No comments:

Post a Comment